From October 1, 2022, Microsoft will begin to permanently disable Basic Authentication and switch to Modern Authentication for all customers using Microsoft 365.
The reason for the above switch:
80% of data breaches at financial institutions are caused by basic authentication procedures, according to a report by HYPR (i.e. authentication only requires account name and password). Additionally, some Microsoft 365 customers experience the same issue. The primary cause is that customers still use basic authentication.
Therefore, Microsoft recommends upgrading authentication methods from Basic Authentication to Modern Authentication.
Some points to note regarding this change are as follows:
- Basic Authentication will be permanently disabled for all accounts in use, including Outlook, Exchange Web Services (EWS), Exchange ActiveSync (EAS), POP, IMAP, Remote PowerShell, MAPI, RPC, SMTP AUTH and OAB (with the exception of SMTP Auth).
- This change will affect the applications and scripts you are using.
- As of October 1, 2022, Microsoft will not turn off Basic Authentication for all businesses at once, but will randomly send a notification message to each business 7 days before disabling this feature.
ATTENTION: Softline is providing 2 service packages to support customers to upgrade their authentication methods, including Basic Migration and Advanced Migration packages.
The features of the 2 packages are as follows:
Basic Migration Package (3000$):
- Readiness Assessment
- The Current Legacy Authentication Usage Analysis
- Modern Authentication Configuration
- User Notification & Adoption
Advanced Migration Package (5000$):
- Basic Migration Package features
- Enabling the Hybrid Modern Authentication for Exchange Server
The benefit after upgrading: Customers no longer face the risk of data breaches.
Sign up for Softline's Modern Authentication here!
Softline Vietnam - Contact Information:
Hotline: (+84 28) 6680 5926 | (+84 24) 6253 7348